Our 3rd day climbing at Hueco, 2nd day with a guide, we parked and hiked in towards the Mescalaro Canyon from the Pond parking. This day was a perfect day. Weather in the 70s with no winds!
Warm up climbs were on the Kid's Stuff boulder, southeast of the Warm Up Roof boulder.
Various warm up climbs on Kid's Stuff boulder are Tiger Beat V1, Juvenile Offender V0, Jiffy Lube V0+, Young Guns V4, and Greasy Kid Stuff V4.
--> NOT YET UPDATED ...INSERT FAST MOTION VIDEO
The Sakurada clan scattered along Kid's Stuff.
Next on the list today was to hit Roger's project climb, Dragonfly V5, located on Hardman Rock boulder, South Dragon's Den. Dragonfly was much harder than expected. It is quite finger intensive with some big moves, and the foot holds are small along the rail. Once you reach the arete, the scare factor (at least for me) kicks in. I didn't make it that far. Ryan was the only one that completed it on his second try. Unfortunately I didn't video that one. On his first try, he just missed the critical heel hook position and came off.
After Dragonfly, we went to scout a future project for Ryan, UltraMega V8. Located on Backdoor/Homeboy boulder, between Dragon's Den and the Dark Heart.
Ryan figured out the sequence and moves for the first 1/3rd of the climb easily on the first try.
It took me a handful of tries just to figure out the starting move.
The video above highlights what actually happens when we "work" a challenging climb. It's about figuring out how to do each movement.. strength, body position, push/pull of certain muscles, twisting, etc. The beta that works for one person may not work for another. Rock climbing is like a puzzle, and the fun aspect of it is figuring out the puzzle with friends - working together, trying different moves, and laughing at each other too. Pure natural fun in the simplest form!
No video proof, but I have a photo proof that I finally made the first move at least twice out of my many attempts!
While the adults were playing down low in the cave, the kiddos were climbing and playing on the rocks above the cave.
It is so dusty and dry in Hueco, dessert environment, Emilia and I had to keep our hair tied so it wouldn't get too tangled.
I did a pretty decent job on her french braids!
Liam finds a climb to climb on.
Emilia mimics how to be a good spotter, except for the sticks in her hands...
After thoroughly exhausted by UltraMega, we moved onto climbs in The Dark Heart, at the Something Different boulders. Ryan and Brandon worked on Something Different V8. Roger and I worked on the Swirl Wall V3.
Roger on Swirl Wall V3.
The height was my nemesis again as I failed to go higher up, but isn't this wall so unique and pretty?!
Roger handles it smoothly! See how precise and controlled his movements are..
Ryan on Something Different V8.
The kids amazingly had an abundance of energy as they continued climbing and playing well into this later afternoon.
By the end of today, I think we were all tired. Hueco has so many interesting climbs to explore... but the fingers are raw and the muscles are fatigued. One more day of exploration! Still not enough...
Pre-Climbing - El Paso Zoo
Climbing Day 0
Climbing Day 1
Climbing Day 2
Thursday, March 31, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















I'm only just getting around to checking these out now. Connie, it's awesome how you took the time to not only take all the photos and videos, but to compile everything into a trip report. Big thanks and kudos! Oh, and I love how I've got my very own "Roger" label haha.
ReplyDeleteIt was a great trip but clearly a lot of unfinished business remains. Hueco definitely hasn't seen the last of us yet!