Friday, May 14, 2010

Mission Accomplished

At the beginning of April, I started running again for the first time since my neck operation.  I made a goal at that time to run the Project Athena 15K trail run on May 8.  Well, I completed the race (maybe survived is a better description), and finally feel recovered after about a week of rest. 


I finished 13th overall out of 66 runners, and 2nd in my age group.  My time was 1:42:39 which is really slow, but the winning time was only a 9 minute/mile pace so that's a testament to how grueling the course was.  One of the runners measured the actual distance on his GPS, and it was 9.7 miles - slightly longer than the advertised 15K.  We don't know exactly how much elevation gain there was, but a friend mentioned that a similar hike she does out there has about 2000 ft of gain.  In any event, there was a lot of climbing, some very steep descents, a couple of river crossings, some singletrack, and even running along a streambed.  Overall, a very sweet course.  What probably made it particularly tough was the temperature - it was hot.  There weren't very many aid stations so I was glad I was carrying my own water.  Even so, I was wilting in the last mile, and was so glad to see the finish line.

Ok, now to start thinking about the next goal...probably something like a Half Marathon trail run.  Long term goal is the Catalina Marathon which is a very hilly, very tough, all trail marathon.

ps.  I got beat at the Project Athena race by a 65 yr old dude.  That's incentive to keep going no matter how old you are!

2 comments:

  1. Good job, Ryan! I am SO glad that you are coming back to action after the surgery. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. If you do the marathon, I'll do the 10K. We can make it a long weekend in Catalina. Baby Em would like that even though she won't be old enough for the kids race yet...

    ReplyDelete