Sunday, November 30, 2014

Family Climbing

These two are extremely close. They play together (and fight together) from the moment they wake up to the time they go to sleep, and when the other one is not around, they think of the other one. If Liam isn't around, Emilia will ask to bring back something for Liam. And Liam, if he doesn't see Emilia around, will ask where she is.

Kids playing around in the meditation/yoga area of the gym:


They play for hours on end fueling each other's creative imagination. Ryan thinks I'm over idealizing a siblings relationship, but seriously, I love the closeness they share! The fighting is nothing compared to all the mischievous laughter that comes out of them.


We spent 5+ hours at a local boulder/climbing gym with the kids on another family climbing session. It was the first time trying out bouldering with them. We had the luxury of time that day, and another plus was that Roger was visiting and climbing with us.

Roger climbing with kiddos running around:



Kids playing while Ryan climbs:


Liam climbing:


I wasn't sure how this session was going to go, but the kids loved it. They would climb a little, eat a lot of snacks, run around and play on their own, come back and climb, etc. Ryan and I would alternative checking on them to make sure they weren't causing too many problems, but all in all, 5+ hours! We were able to stay there for 5 hours with no temper tantrums, all of us getting some climbing in, socializing with Roger, and having play time.

Kids running around the gym..



Liam and Ryan playing with the rings in their own style. =)


Emilia's version of the rings (though swinging on the rings is not allowed):



The kids were very comfortable at the gym and the people there. They did get into some mischief. At one point when I checked on the kids, I found them besides the slack line, A guy was practicing a one-legged squat balance on the line and Liam went up to the side of climber, then proceeded to make funny faces at the guy, who was really trying hard to keep his balance. I couldn't help but laugh as I lectured Liam to move away. Obviously the climber lost his balance laughing and fell off.

By the end of the evening, Emilia was climbing like a pro. She would put on her climbing shoes and pick her own climb and go up and down without any of us prompting her.



Compare the above video with one of her first climbs of the session...



We may just be able to pull off incorporating regular family climbing sessions to our routine... hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment