Friday, January 20, 2012

Health and Diet

Part of getting ready for the zombie apocalypse is not only incorporating exercise and being fit, but striving to eat healthier than we already do. Luckily for us, it's a lifestyle that comes naturally to us and we are surrounded by lots of friends and family that are very much into healthy living and eating, and it's an interest that we like to talk about and share information. Ultimately, I think a diet is very personal. It's about what one's goals are. A diet for a runner is different than a weight-lifter; a diet for a sedentary lifestyle is different than someone on-the-go, etc.

Here's a recent article that examines the latest popular diets and rates them for best overall.
Best Overall Diets

I was initially checking out the Paleo diet as a means to get back into shape and build muscle, but have since decided against it. Ultimately, the best diet is to listen to your body... what foods make you feel more alert and active and gives you more energy. What food doesn't? I love chocolate and cheese and fatty meats, but at the end of the day, I feel like a lazy slug if I eat that stuff. For me... and my family, it boils down to being dairy-free, minimize processed foods, and incorporating a lot of veggies is key. We have since doubled our intake of green, leafy veggies. We have gone from 6 bunches to 12 bunches of Asian greens a week. We also incorporate lean protein, antibiotic free and hormone free.. organic if possible.

Anyhow, this post is just to get some information on our blog. I encourage adaptation to a healthy lifestyle and eating. Not just because it's "good" for you, but because healthy eating simply makes you "feel" better. At least, I do. With 5-6 hours of sleep a night, I need all the healthy I can get so that I can get through the day. And it's working!

No comments:

Post a Comment