Thursday, May 10, 2012

All About the Cauliflower

It must be cauliflower season because they're in abundance and good prices in the stores. Ever since the cauliflower pizza, I've been experimenting with more cauliflower recipes since it is one of those foods that make great for substitutions.

We've made cauliflower pizza a few times now and while it's still a healthier pizza than the norm, it is still high cal from the tapioca "cheese". It is not a regular dish, but an occasional treat. Some more regular recipes of ours are the usual roasted cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon, which is absolutely delicious. And my favorite cauliflower recipes so far is the cauliflower fried rice.

I like a generous amount of stuff in my fried rice - ginger, green onion, garlic, cilantro, peas & carrots, bok choy, extra eggs, and some type of sausage (usually traditional Chinese sausage and/or duck liver sausage which is lower in cal vs traditional). The best part of Cauliflower fried rice (aside from the fact that it tastes really good), is that a chow-down of two giant servings is still low in calories and full of nutritious veggies.

Here's a side by side of my cauliflower fried rice and Ryan's regular fried rice.


Apparently not only is cauliflower a good rice substitute, it's also a good mash potato substitute. I finally tried this recipe out a few nights ago. It is easy to make and texture-wise is very comparable to mash potatoes. Taste-wise, I can tell the difference. It tastes a lot lighter than regular mashed potatoes. Still yummy enough that making the substitute in no way makes me feel like I'm missing out on regular mashed potatoes.


Yeh for cauliflower! I never liked cauliflower til now that I've learned different ways to cook with it.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Nice. One of my favorite raw food dishes is Raw Cauliflower Tabbouleh: Mince the cauliflower (most likely how you would chop the rice), add diced tomatoes and cucumbers, a little finely chopped green onion, a whole head of parsley, and lemon juice. Voila! If you're eating almost raw, or "raw gourmet", you can add olive oil and/or chopped olives. If you're eating dairy, Redwood Farms Raw Goat Milk Feta is fan-flipping-tastic in this. If you're eating wheat, you can use half bulgar/half cauliflower to make it healthier and lower cal. Non-Gluten: half Quinoa instead. So many variations. Maybe I'll make my raw tabbouleh for your potluck??? (No dairy of course, for Ryan.) It's so refreshing and tasty on a hot picnic-day.

    ReplyDelete